Preparatory School and Winter College on Extreme Non-linear Optics, Attosecond Science and High-field Physics | (smr 3186)
Starts 29 Jan 2018
Ends 2 Feb 2018
Central European Time
Giambiagi Lecture Hall (AGH)
Strada Costiera, 11
I - 34151 Trieste (Italy)
- FROM 29 JANUARY 2018 TO 16 FEBRUARY 2018 -
An ICTP PREPARATORY SCHOOL will be organized the week before the Winter College for a limited number of selected participants.
The Preparatory School will provide background tutorials and exercises designed to help the participants in following the College lectures.
The aim of the Winter College is to offer Ph.D. students a broad training on extreme light science: from ultra short and ultra intense laser pulse generation, to attosecond and Free Electron Laser (FEL) technology, focusing on applications of attosecond pulse generation in atomic and molecular physics, photo-chemistry and nanoscience, and the application of extreme light sources to matter-radiation interactions in general.
Free Electron Lasers (FELs) will be accompanied by visits to the FERMI FEL and the Elettra Syncrotron Facility located in Trieste. In addition to lectures, there will be tutorials on simulation tools for ultrashort pulse and nonlinear optics modelling as well as hands-on laboratory sessions. Posters are encouraged from all participants and prizes will be sponsored by the International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE).
• Ultrashort laser pulse generation and characterization
• Ultrafast non-linear optics and ultrabroadband parametric amplification
• Novel low-cost mode-locked laser systems
• Principles of attosecond technology: generation and metrology
• XUV optics for attosecond beamlines
• Attosecond electron dynamics in atoms and molecules
• Attosecond spectroscopy of nanoparticles and nanostructures
• Strong field physics phenomena and high-intensity laser technologies
• Free Electron Lasers: physics, properties and recent advances
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply to the Preparatory School and Winter College, please click on the "Apply here" link in the left menu of this page.
Please note that it is highly recommended that only candidates NOT holding a PhD or without an appropriate background should apply to the Preparatory School. Acceptance will be at the discretion of the Organizers.
Francesca Calegari ((IFN-CNR, Milan - Italy and DESY, Hamburg - Germany), David Blaschke (University of Wroclaw - Poland and NRNU MEPhI Moscow - Russia), Miltcho Danailov (Elettra-Sincrotrone, Trieste – Italy), Zhiyi Wei (Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing - China), Local Organiser: Joseph Niemela
ICTP - Strada Costiera, 11
I - 34151 Trieste Italy (+39) 040 2240 111 email@example.com