The School will introduce young scientists to synchrotron and X-ray free electron laser (XFEL) based research with a glance to the future. The School’s interdisciplinary character will provide a stimulating environment for discussions with leaders in the field.
X-ray based analytical methods play an increasingly important role in many domains of fundamental research and applied science. The international cast of lecturers will introduce the basic principles of advanced X-ray spectroscopy and scattering techniques. Emphasis will be given on how these techniques allow accessing the complexity of matter by monitoring the atomic arrangement, electronic, magnetic and chemical properties of individual building blocks and their response to external stimuli like temperature, pressure, electric or magnetic fields and light pulses. The program will be complemented by lectures on recent advances in synchrotron and XFEL sources enabling novel experimental methodologies. Demonstration sessions will be organized at Elettra’s synchrotron and XFEL facilities.
• Fundamentals of synchrotron and FEL radiation and production.
• Beamlines: photon transport and handling
• X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy
• X-ray Crystallography and Powder Diffraction
• Inelastic and Elastic Scattering (SAXS, WAXS and RIXS)
• Photoelectron spectroscopy
• Imaging techniques using X-rays and advantages using coherent X-rays
• Spectromicroscopy and imaging using X-rays and IR
• Time-resolved approaches using FELs and synchrotrons
Grants: a limited number of grants are available to support the attendance of selected participants, with priority given to those from developing countries.
Support for attending the School will also be provided by the H2020 funded European Cluster of Advanced Laser Light Sources (EUCALL) and the French research network XFEL-Science:
- EUCALL will provide a limited number of travel bursaries for young scientists from European Laboratories. For more details and to apply, see the following web page: https://www.eucall.eu/bursaries/spring_school
- The XFEL-Science network will provide a limited number of travel bursaries for students from French Laboratories. Please contact Jan Luning for more information when applying to the School.
There is no registration fee.
List of Lecturers
G. Margaritondo (EPF-Lausanne)
C. Fadley (LBNL & UC Davis)
G. Ghiringhelli (Politecnico di Milano)
M. N. Piancastelli (UPMC, Paris)
J. Hajdu (Univ. Uppsala)
J.P. Colletier (IBS, Genoble)
A. Madsen (European XFEL, Hamburg)
D. Rupp (MBI, Berlin)
M. Harmand (UPMC, Paris)
B. Ziaja-Motyka (CFEL, Hamburg)
H. Lemke (SwissFEL, PSI)
S. Molodtsov (European XFEL, Hamburg)
P. Wernet (HZ-Berlin)
M. Beye (DESY, Hamburg)
L. Gianessi (ENEA, Rome)
J. Luning (UPMC, Paris)
P. Scardi (University of Trento)
G. Aquilanti (Elettra, Trieste)
E. Busetto (Elettra, Trieste)
A. Gianoncelli (Elettra, Trieste)
G. Tromba (Elettra, Trieste)
A. Locatelli (Elettra, Trieste)
H. Amenitsch (Graz Univ. of Technology)
L. Vaccari (Elettra, Trieste)
M. Zangrando (Elettra, Trieste)
C. Masciovecchio (Elettra, Trieste)
Go to day