Advanced Workshop on Technology for Sustainable Development: Low-Cost Tools to support Scientific Education | (smr 3238)
Starts 17 Sep 2018
Ends 21 Sep 2018
Central European Time
Via Beirut, 6
I - 34151 Trieste (Italy)
Workshop programme will be made available at a later stage,
in the meantime please note that
daily schedule will be
Monday to Friday: all mornings and afternoons
it is therefore suggested that participants plan their stay here
from Sunday 16 to Saturday 22 September 2018.
* * *
Technology plays a big role in sustainable development in all of its aspects: social, environmental, economic and scientific. The recent development of low cost technologies (electronic boards, sensors, 3D printing, etc.) can empower scientists and educators from developing countries in fostering scientific knowledge.
In this workshop we will cover some of the low cost tools that can be used in universities to support courses in physics and engineering.
We will present concrete examples of projects that can be carried out during post-graduate courses. We will study in depth one important case study, the LED Sun Photometer, which provides an ultra-low cost solution for education and science.
• Sustainable Development Goals and the role of technology;
• Open hardware and open software tools;
• IoT4D: Internet of Things for Development;
• 3D printing and the FabLab revolution;
• The role of inexpensive technology in education (example: hand-made robot for kids, programmed in local language);
• A case study, the LED Sun Photometer: from blueprinting to deployment in the field.