Latin American Introductory School on Parallel Programming and Parallel Architecture for High Performance Computing | (smr 3187)
Starts 12 Feb 2018
Ends 23 Feb 2018
Central European Time
CINVESTAV and ININ
Carretera México-Toluca Km 38.5, Salazar, Ocoyoacac, 52740 Estado de México, MEXICO
* * DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: 26 November 2017 * *
The School has the goal of teaching participating scientists about modern computer hardware and programming to provide a foundation for future computational research using High Performance Computing (HPC). Participants will go through an intensive programme with a focus on practical skills.
School participants will learn to improve the efficiency of their research codes, and to parallelize them. Lectures on a selection of technical aspects of modern HPC hardware will be mixed with introductions to widely used parallel programming tools and libraries. The hands-on sessions will allow participants to practice on small example problems of general scientific interest. Example topics will cover numerical methods and parallel strategies, as well as data management.
The programme specifically addresses the needs of scientists using, writing, or modifying HPC applications, and will not assume, require, or provide significant IT and HPC resource management skills.
It will be mainly based on fundamental HPC-relevant features in widely used scientific software for high-performance computing:
• Computer architectures for HPC and how to optimize for them
• Parallel programming tools (MPI & OpenMP)
• Portable, flexible and parallel I/O (HDF5)
• Parallel programming best practices
• Floating-point math
• High-performance libraries for the solution of common math problems
W. Bangerth, Colorado State University
R. Berger, Temple University, Philadelphia
G. Pringle, EPCC, Edinburgh
I. Girotto, ICTP Trieste
• The School is organized in collaboration with the CADING-Red Group.
• Accommodation and meals are covered at the campus for all selected participants.
• Recommendation letters are a very important tool in assessing requests for participation: during the online application process candidates will be requested to nominate referees, and e-mail will be sent automatically by the system inviting them to complete an online recommendation.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: 26 November 2017
* * A PRELIMINARY VERSION OF THE PROGRAMME IS ONLINE * * (please select "Programme" from the menu on the left)
Jaime Klapp (ININ and Cinvestav-Abacus), Isidoro Gitler (Cinvestav-Abacus), Leonardo Sigalotti (UAM-Azcapotzalco), Elí Santos Rodríguez (Mesoamerican Centre for Theoretical Physics), Marcela Cruchaga (Universidad de Santiago de Chile), ICTP Scientific Contact: Ivan Girotto
ICTP - Strada Costiera, 11
I - 34151 Trieste Italy (+39) 040 2240 111 firstname.lastname@example.org