Joint ICTP-IAEA 2021 International School on Nuclear Security | (smr 3569)
Starts 12 Apr 2021
Ends 23 Apr 2021
Central European Time
An ICTP-IAEA Virtual Meeting
This year we will celebrate the 10th Anniversary of ICTP-IAEA International School on Nuclear Security.
The two-week School is designed for early career professionals from developing countries, ideally with 1-3 years of experience and working at relevant institutions in their home country. The school provides an intense contemporary overview of nuclear security. Candidates should have a specific career interest in or knowledge of nuclear security, although academic and technical backgrounds may vary. Candidates with a scientific or technical background in a discipline such as nuclear physics, nuclear engineering, political science, law enforcement, or related fields are especially encouraged to apply.
School curriculum will include the following topics:
• International legal framework for nuclear security
• Identification of and measures to address, threats against nuclear security
• Physical protection of nuclear material and nuclear facilities
• Physical protection system design and evaluation
• Nuclear security regime for radioactive material and associated facilities
• Transport security for nuclear and other radioactive material
• Threat and risk assessment, nuclear security detection architecture
• Radiation detection instruments and detection strategies and techniques
• Nuclear security culture, concept and definition, self-assessment and enhancement
• Information and computer security
• Introduction to Nuclear Material Accounting & Control and threats addressed by NMAC
• Threat and risk for material out of regulatory control
• Nuclear security systems and measures for major public events
• Incident and trafficking database global analysis
• Nuclear forensics and radiological crime scene management
• IAEA Programmes and Assistance for Human Resource Development in Nuclear Security.
There will also be practical exercises in the form of recorded videos designed to show the participants some detection equipments, how to use them and the range of their applications.
As a prerequisite to admission to the School, all applicants will be asked to complete at least 6 of the 17 existing IAEA e-learning modules on nuclear security, based on their interest and their field of expertise. Please find the link to all e-learning modules: https://elearning.iaea.org/m2/course/index.php?categoryid=48
Given the global health situation due to COVID 19 pandemic and travel restrictions, the International Atomic Energy Agency has re-designed the curriculum of the International School on Nuclear Security to be adapted to the virtual format. The School will start each day at 10:00 am Trieste time and will last maximum 5 hours including breaks.