Winter College on Optics: Advanced Optical Techniques for Bio-imaging | (smr 3104)
Starts 13 Feb 2017
Ends 24 Feb 2017
Central European Time
Budinich Lecture Hall (LB)
The College will address fundamental and experimental aspects of advanced Microscopy, Spectroscopy and related techniques. The scope of the course is to promote new theoretical and experimental methods, concepts, instruments, measurement techniques and data analysis routines for both Laboratory and industrial applications to train students and scientists, as well as to coordinate international activities and collaborations in this area. By focusing on both theory and applications, the College will also provide an interesting intersection of emerging techniques and experimental methods with theoretical advances in the field. The lectures will focus on a variety of topics related to biological applications, environmental research and material characterization. Hands-on sessions will be organized every day of the college in the ICTP laboratories accompanied by library documentation finalized with round-table discussion.
• Introduction to optical microscopy, confocal microscopy, phase contrast microscopy and super-resolution
• Bio-imaging processing and speckle interferometry bio-imaging
• Advanced fluorescence microscopy, fluorescence nanoscopy and label free approaches in microscopy
• Mobile-phone based fluorescent microscopy: sensing and diagnostics
• STED microscopy: the way to Nobel Prize
• Polarization microscopy: biomedical imaging and diagnostics
• Photothermal spectroscopy and microscopy: related techniques and applications
• Time-resolved and multispectral spectroscopy. Biosensing by surface plasmon resonance
• Optical properties of thin films, optical lithography, applications of nanostructured porous materials for biomedicine
• Optical tweezers and applications
An ICTP Preparatory School will be organized the week before the College (from 6 to 10 February 2017) for a limited number of selected participants. The Preparatory School will provide background tutorials and exercises designed to help the participants in following the College lectures.
Additional Information from the Marie Curie Library:
OSA and SPIE granted free access to their full text online databases.
Access will be available between the 1st and the 24th of February from the ICTP intranet: LINK TO THE ONLINE DATABASES (in case of connection problems please check SETUP REQUIREMENTS)
The Marie Curie Library is available for any further assistance in consulting these or other resources. http://library.ictp.it/
Humberto Cabrera (Venezuelan Institute for Scientific Research, Merida, Venezuela), Maria Luisa Calvo (Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain), Alberto Diaspro (Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, Genoa, Italy), Viktor Lysiuk (V. Lashkariov Institute of Semiconductor Physics, Ukraine), Nicoletta Tosa (National Institute for Research and Development of Isotopic and Molecular Technologies, Cluj, Romania), Local Organiser: Joseph Niemela
ICTP - Strada Costiera, 11
I - 34151 Trieste Italy (+39) 040 2240 111 email@example.com