The two-week School is designed for young professionals from developing countries, ideally with 1-3 years of experience, working at relevant institution in their home country. Candidates should have a specific career interest in, or knowledge of nuclear security, although their academic and technical background may vary. Candidates with a scientific or technical background in a discipline of relevance to nuclear security, such as nuclear physics, nuclear engineering or political science, and/or in related fields, are especially encouraged to apply.
• International legal framework supporting nuclear security
• Identification of, and measures to address, threats against nuclear material, facilities, and activities
• Instruments and methods for physical protection of associated facilities
• Threat and risk assessment, detection architecture, and response plan for material out of regulatory control
• Radiation detection instruments and detection strategies and techniques
• Transport security for nuclear and other radioactive material
• Nuclear forensics and radiological crime scene management
• Nuclear security culture, computer and information security, and security at major public events
• Measures for systematic nuclear security human resource development at the national level
Additionally, there will be practical exercises, designed to incorporate the acquired knowledge into national planning and procedures to protect against threats to nuclear security.
As a prerequisite to admission to the School, all applicants will be asked to complete IAEA introductory e-learning modules on several topics in nuclear security:
- Nuclear Security Threats and Risks
- Transport Security
- Information and Computer Security
- NMAC for Nuclear Security
- Radiological Crime Scene Management
- Physical Protection
- Preventive and Protective Measures against Insider Threat
- Use of Radiation Detection Instruments for Front Line Officers
- Introduction to Radioactive Sources and Their Applications
The modules are available only online:
The estimated time for completing the courses is between 1 and 4.5 hours. Upon successful completion of each module, the system will generate a personalized certificate. Please submit all certificates of completion (as pdf or jpg files) with the online application form for this School. In case of technical problems please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW TO APPLY
Fill in the online application form using the link "Apply here" that can be found in this page.
Before applying please check the above mentioned prerequisites.
(Deadline expired on 2 December 2017)