Joint ICTP-IAEA College on Advanced Plasma Physics | (smr 2599)
Starts 18 Aug 2014
Ends 29 Aug 2014
Central European Time
AGH (Kastler Lecture Hall)
Strada Costiera, 11
I - 34151 Trieste (Italy)
Since much of the known universe is in plasmas state, the study of the plasma state is one of the imperatives in Physics pedagogy and research. The primary objective of this college is advanced pedagogical training for students and researchers from the developing countries. Student and researcher participation from "north countries" is also encouraged.
The college program is designed:
1) to teach and stimulate the participants to develop an advanced understanding and perspective of elementary and basic ideas on plasma physics, and
2) to familiarize and train students and researchers in recent developments and advances in experiments, design, theory, modeling, and numerical computation so that their research and dissemination abilities are honed.
• Elementary as well as advanced treatment of fundamental processes in plasma physics: Plasma confinement, Collective phenomena, instabilities, Coherent nonlinear phenomena, self- organization, plasma turbulence.
• Their applications to Magnetic Fusion (theory, experiments, design, and simulations) laser generated plasmas, astrophysical and cosmic plasmas (solar, planetary magnetospheres, jets etc.), and exotic plasmas (relativistic, quantum, quantum-relativistic). Fusion applications will be particularly emphasized.
• A poster session to highlight participant research will be organized.